• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1780 posts

Posted 30 July 2004 - 02:20 AM

Basic Southwestern Archy
by marinersfan59
Website Version

Here's a few walls and rooves commonly used in making the buildings:
Posted ImagePosted Image

Step 1: Make the shape of the building in any wall that you want.
Posted Image

Step 2: Make the floor of the building. In southwestern style there is a lot of wood, so I'm using the wood floors made by ToonTowner.
Posted Image

Step 3: Make the windows and porch fences for the building. Don't be too repetative, and try to make a basic pattern.
Posted Image

Step 4: Finish off the first floor walls with blank ones of the same style. Also put the divider between the first and second floor in now. After you're done with that, if you haven't already done so, paint the floors, walls, and fences.
Posted Image

Step 5: Place the baseblocks for the second floor at the same level as your divider. In order to make them not delete your divider, it's best to use 1/4 tile blocks. You'll need to make them at least one square in from the walls of your building (2 blocks for 1/4 tile). Also make the fence for your balcony. Balcony styles vary, so make them different according to the individual feel of that building.
Posted Image

Step 6: Make the second floor walls in the same way as floor 1 (steps 3&4)
Posted Image

Step 7: Add the roof to the building. Try not to make the roof taller than the building itself, and don't make it too boring. Add colors that go along with the building, but break up the uniformity, or make the roof at different levels and slopes.
Posted Image

Step 8: The building is done, but it looks a little bit blocky right now. In order to give it a better appearance, add some trees/bushes/flowers. Make trees cover up some blank walls on the building, and add bushes to the side and/or front.
Posted Image

After you get better at this style, try making more complex buildings that have more shape, as this tutorial is just to show the basics of this style. Good luck with your buildings.

Thanks to the scenery makers who's objects were used in this tutorial
ToonTowner
Mama Bear
Six Frags
Fisherman

Tutorial written and created by marinersfan59.

Edited by marinersfan59, 05 January 2006 - 01:17 AM.

#2 xophe

xophe

2004 VP of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2283 posts
  • Interests:*RCT(2)<br>*Roller Coasters<br>*Rats<br>*Art<br>*Building K'NEX coasters<br>*Going to theme parks<br><br>and most importantly...<br>*Coming to RCT2.com!

Users Awards

Posted 30 July 2004 - 06:40 PM

That's a nice tutorial, very useful for beginners.
I saw that you wanted this moved, so I'll do it for you.

---Moving to Park Making---

#3 Wolfman

Wolfman

July 07 RR 1st RunnerUp

• Guests
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1473 posts
  • Coaster Uploads:41

Users Awards

Posted 27 February 2005 - 03:20 AM

I didn't know that the short, thin squares were floors! Awsome! I'll bet with some practice someone will come up with a house with a ghost train inside it.

But one thing,

In the tutorial for the building, it seems that the roof should of extended over the second floor balcony. But I like the notion that the roof shouldn't be taller than the house itself. Over all, good tutorial, got any more??

#4 marinersfan59

marinersfan59

RCTspace Webmaster

• Senior Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1780 posts

Posted 27 February 2005 - 03:40 AM

I didn't know that the short, thin squares were floors! Awsome! I'll bet with some practice someone will come up with a house with a ghost train inside it.

They might not have been intended for use as floors, and maybe they were. One of the most important things that you'll learn about parkmaking is that any object can be used to make whatever you want to make out of it. Base blocks are the most versitile scenery item that I've worked with. And about the ghost train, I've already seen some like that, and have even made them in unreleased projects of mine.

In the tutorial for the building, it seems that the roof should of extended over the second floor balcony. But I like the notion that the roof shouldn't be taller than the house itself.

The roof design is totally optional to the parkmaker, this is just a basic design of a building. In anyone's parks, I strongly encourage them to experiment with different things and settle on what looks best. The roof height is a very important thing about building making, and that generality is only wrong in very rare situations.

Over all, good tutorial, got any more??

There are tutorials all over the place in The RCT2.com tutorial team folder. Feel free to explore it and see how you can get better. There are also some newer tutorials that will be released soon, when my RCT2 workload settles down a little bit.

#5 wasoe

wasoe

Park Guest

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Coaster Uploads:3

Posted 16 April 2005 - 05:18 PM

Man, you guys make it look so easy...

#6 uncle_adolph

uncle_adolph

Mmmmmm Spamm!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1859 posts
  • Coaster Uploads:2

Posted 29 August 2005 - 09:08 AM

^ That's because it is... :wait:

Nice tutorial, should help a lot of ney peeps....

-Ben

#7 Sambe900

Sambe900

Park Cleaner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 16 October 2005 - 09:36 PM

Cool! This could help me alot! :)

#8 Genius638

Genius638

Rollercoaster Tycoon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1399 posts
  • Interests:RCT2 (and other things I don't feel like writing)

Posted 06 October 2006 - 07:25 PM

I've just seen this. My bumping it up will probably bring attention to it again. This is an excellent tutorial, thanks marinersfan59!

#9 jec8992

jec8992

Park Guest

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Interests:Roller Coasters,Theme Parks,Shell Collecting,Flying in Jets.
  • Coaster Uploads:1

Posted 11 November 2006 - 09:21 PM

NICE!!!

Wow this thread is old....

#10 batfish00

batfish00

Park Guest

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 November 2006 - 12:04 AM

my six year old likes to play and is now trying to make his own buildings. How does he put a roof on. When he puts it over the top of his walls he gets the message to click to remove the wall. Can some one help me figure this out so I can show him how. He is very frustrated. He is using RCT2

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users