10 replies to this topic

#1 RCT Secenario Lover

RCT Secenario Lover

Coaster Mechanic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 03:26 PM

I don't want to have to say this, but I can't really let this stay inside me for much longer.

It's been legitimately three months since this Roller Coaster Tycoon fan site has had any substantial activity. Sure, it's hasn't been that active to begin with in the past couple of years, but I truly think this site is on its last legs. I don't want it to go to its rest either, but look at how barren these forums are. Heck, I saw rcthelp pop in for a bit of a spell before leaving just as fast.

I know this community has spent a good deal of the past decade celebrating this game with amazing parks, cool track designs, and the like. But in this day and age (or at least until Chris Sawyer maybe ports the original games to iOS or something), the RCT community has either transfered to New Element or just stuck around little niche areas of the internet. I might see videos of people playing this series on YouTube, but it doesn't give me the same satisfaction as opening a park and looking into it at its various and plentiful details. It doesn't give me the same feeling of going onto an internet forum and partaking in the wonder and awe that comes from sharing your projects.

...you're probably looking at this post right now and saying "What do you, RCT Scenario Lover, have to say about anything regarding this site? You're a brat who slandered rcthelp when he wouldn't accept your RCT1 remakes. wabigbear was right to tell you off and close your topic, tainting your reputation on this forum." I'm not defending my actions at all, you know. I deserved to be told off. By the time I remade the entire first game on RCT Revalutions, I realized how much a dumbo I was back then. I mean, this is the first thing I ever really said on this site:

"Yep, I'm taking control now! I'm fufilling dakinle's project of recreating Original RCT Secenarios!"

I wasn't even 13 years old, and I was throwing myself out there like a government bigshot. I denied the backlash for some time, but when I came to realize my repercussions, I just couldn't stand to post on this forum anymore. Every time I posted about something thereafter, I flinched as if a moderator was about to come 'round and smack me with a probation for being a goof. At one point, I couldn't take it, and I just left.

And in the past three years, RCT Space has steadily declined. All the previous community members have finally left to focus on their real lives. I'm not saying they shouldn't have, you know. It's good that they're working on something that isn't just a hobby. But at this point, I even wonder if this site is worth keeping up if I'm just going to check back every couple of days, click that New Content link, and see nothing but tumbleweeds.

...I don't want it to fade away. But I can't look at my previous remakes thread without experiencing some horrid form of PTSD, either. I guess what I should be saying now...is that I wish some of the other communities that still exist in the RCT niches of the internet could migrate here and give this website a new life. If someone could delete my disaster of a reign here remaking the original scenarios, tidy up the general forums a bit...maybe this site could become as glorious as a phoenix.

In closing, I just want to say a few things to the people that frequented this forum.

Sambo, you're a good man to have kept this site moving along for so long. It's lasted more than RCT Station, which is truly saying something. I hope you can keep it in this archival-like format for some time.

rcthelp, I know you left a full month ago, but thank you for letting me accept my previous demons regarding this forum. I hope your life outside of RCT is going well.

wabigbear, if you're even still out there...thank you for letting me realize that I was wrong to commandeer someone's else work like dakinle's. Sure, I still might have been inspired by him to work those remakes out, but I could've done without having my own topic, and my own stupid internet persona, sully the whole affair with mud. Even if you don't play this game anymore, at least know that I've changed my ways for the better.

To anyone else who I've interacted with on RCT Space, keep hope alive, friends. This is one heck of a great game from the mind of one great man. It's something that brings us all together. I can only hope that at some point, we can be together in such harmony again.

Thank you. :)

~RCT Scenario Lover (AJ Carrillo)

(P.S.: I'm sorry if I effort-posted the heck out of this forum, but I hope you understand my position.)

#2 Sambo

Sambo

Former RCTspace Network Owner

• Senior Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9451 posts
  • Interests:RCT, RCT2, RCT3, Disneyland...

Users Awards

Posted 23 November 2013 - 09:16 PM

Hey AJ

Thanks for the post. Truth about the site is accurately stated. We are not active as much as just listening and watching. Still, we keep getting many new members each week though mostly for the downloads. There is too much good stuff to just let it go and not keep sharing. If that is our fate - so be it. All it takes to revitalize a dormant site is a small number of active participants. If that happens, we are here to assist. Forums such as these are fluid and dynamic. Even in dormancy, the seed can sprout and new life happens.

Will that ever happen? Maybe. Maybe not. We do however, have fertile ground here...waiting.

I'm not going away anytime soon.

#3 gavt1976

gavt1976

Park Cleaner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 05:05 PM

I am just happy that this site is still going, because i remember when this site was active all the time, but i am still glad that this is still going. :)
  • Sambo likes this

#4 GCfanerDral

GCfanerDral

Park Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 402 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 04:19 AM

Maybe the release of RCT 4 will revitalize the forum. :)

After I saw the announcement on twitter, I immediately thought of rct2.com.

#5 Sambo

Sambo

Former RCTspace Network Owner

• Senior Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9451 posts
  • Interests:RCT, RCT2, RCT3, Disneyland...

Users Awards

Posted 01 April 2014 - 07:45 AM

Could be - but I'm not holding my breath...

#6 RCT Secenario Lover

RCT Secenario Lover

Coaster Mechanic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 05 May 2018 - 04:18 PM

Sambo,

Just nuke it. This is depressing. I wish I could be less blunt, but I think this site has served its purpose. I'm sorry.

#7 Doctor J

Doctor J

Park Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts
  • Coaster Uploads:3

Posted 12 May 2018 - 02:41 PM

I'm OK with nostalgia! Keep the site going... and going... and going...

OpenRCT2 is progressing well. They plan to extend the capabilities of the original game. There's still some "RCT spirit" out there.

#8 Liampie

Liampie

Park Guest

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 December 2018 - 02:39 PM

Sambo, thank you so much for keeping the site up. If you ever plan to pull the site, could you give me or anyone at New Element a heads up? We are always expanding our database with missing parks sometimes two decades old, it's like we're building a museum. We'll stay out of RCTSpace business for now though. Your parks are yours. There is a lot of wonderful RCT work on this website that we could conserve for future generations though, if the time ever comes to lay RCTSpace to rest. The site may be dead-ish, the RCT scene is not. :)

Also, to anyone with big, old folders of savegames: we/I could really appreciate your help in locating some missing masterpieces from the past. Please contact me at NE if you think you may have some savegames of worth! I'd be more than happy to dig through your ancient unorganized folders. :)

edit: Only my second post here. Registered in 2007. THAT is sad.

Edited by Liampie, 17 December 2018 - 02:41 PM.

#9 Woodpecker

Woodpecker

Park Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts
  • Coaster Uploads:8

Posted 01 January 2019 - 08:43 AM

Liampie, I just had a look over at New Element and it's great!  About time I joined.  I used to play really regularly but the past few years I've been busy with other things.  I did a bit of work back in the day with Steve Franks working on his unreleased Ocean Park bench and he also helped tidy up one of my own recreations.  I haven't heard from him in two years - I assume all is well.

Incidentally, it says that the administrator isn't accepting any new members to the forums.  Is there a reason for this?  The "contact administrator" function also doesn't work.

Edited by Woodpecker, 01 January 2019 - 08:44 AM.

#10 Liampie

Liampie

Park Guest

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 April 2019 - 12:40 PM

Sorry I only just saw this, Woodpecker. Does the website literally say we're not accepting any new members? It's not true, we love getting new members. The thing is that we're under constant assault of spambots and we have to approve all accounts manually so we can weed out the malicious accounts, and we don't check everyday, meaning that sometimes you have to wait a few days until your account is activated. :/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users