#1 Terrapin

Terrapin

Park Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 11:31 PM

Hey all,

I am currently in the process of creating my own RCT site (this and the forums will be hosted on a free server). Anyway, I am new to web design and not really sure where to go from the point I have so far. Here is the link to what I have so far. Any help in creating and moderating this site would be greatly appreciated. Oh, and one last note, I am looking for object creators and parkmakers to be hosted on my site. If you are interested, please PM me.

#2 mrtnxii

mrtnxii

Park Guest

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  • Interests:Playing games like... RCT2?

Posted 27 July 2010 - 11:06 AM

I have my own Website for RCT2(temorarily closed, tell me if you wish to be opened again) : My website
And sorry for bad english.
I can give you some tips how to start:

1. Don't advertise your page immediately! Visitors don't lik emty webpage which is under construction.
2. If It's possible, add a logo to your website. And an image of RCT2 - when visitors look a Homepage, they must know what is webpage for.
3. Selecting font size, type and other settings are very important - if will your website have too big or too small font, or font type will be unreadable, visitors will turn away
4. Your site must be clear : You can't mix everything(if you understand me :) ).

I like your site - but now it's unfinished. Try to fill up or make the blue place under menu smaller. Make page title bigger or replace it with logo. You can replace "the RCT Mall" with somting interesting, maybe a little funny. On everything that you have add a "other stuff" page. Here you can add any other stuff which has no connection with RCT. You can add jokes, useful informations etc.

I'm very interested to join your site as an object creator, not really "object" - but "track". See some my tracks:
http://forums.rctspa...pic=8398&st=310 (the lowest reply on the last site). If you're interested, tell me.

That's all for now. I hope It's helpful!

Edited by mrtnxii, 27 July 2010 - 11:20 AM.

#3 Sambo

Sambo

Former RCTspace Network Owner

• Senior Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9451 posts
  • Interests:RCT, RCT2, RCT3, Disneyland...

Users Awards

Posted 27 July 2010 - 08:58 PM

First off - if you are serious, get your own domain name and a host that will allow you to use it. Nothing says n00b like "mysite.myhost.com".

You mentioned moderators - that implies a forum. Which will you use? Some are more secure than others.
Speaking of security, your host will shut you down without notice once a spam mailer sets up camp in your space on the server without your knowledge (and they will if you don't take charge of your own security).

Backup, backup, backup.

You also mentioned hosting people's files. Are you paying for a set bandwidth, and have agreed to pay overage fees should your bandwidth usage cross over the threshold? Better check as that can be expensive. Or if you have a set usage and no more - they will cut you off once your limit is reached and no more site access until next month. Hosting other people's files is fun - but there is a cost should you do it well and have stuff that a lot of people want or want to post.

Back to forums - most forum software allows (or requires) skinning. No "web design" necessary - just knowledge of CSS and the HTML or XML it affects. A working knowledge of SQL and PHP is extremely helpful.

...but I think you already know all this. Good luck Terrapin, the community needs more activity to replace what we have lost.

#4 Terrapin

Terrapin

Park Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 04:03 PM

Thanks for all the tips, Sambo. Unfortunately, I currently do not have the funds, and won't for a lonnngggg time to host this off my own domain name. I'm just a poor college kid right now. I have a fairly good knowledge of HTML and CSS. I'm learning PHP (which really doesn't seem that dificult).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users