marinersfan59

RCTspace Webmaster

• Senior Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1780 posts

Posted 14 January 2005 - 09:38 PM

Hotels
Website Version

Hotels are very difficult structures to make well, which is one reason that they're not available in many parks. This tutorial will show you the best parts of a few hotels from within the community, and hopefully you'll be able to pick up on some of the ideas.

For this tutorial, it was very difficult to compile the information in the standard 'progressive tutorial' way, so I've set up a webpage for you to visit. Please feel free to look as many times as you want, I have unlimited bandwidth. Only the really great hotels will be located on this page. If you feel that your hotel is good enough for here, then tell me about it, and show me some screens. To be fair, I won't be the only one deciding which hotels make it. If it is good enough, you get the exact same thing as on the page right now; a review of the hotel and full credit.

Let's face it, the Motel 6 hotel designs are just not wowing anyone anymore. [>Click Here<] for some tips and reviews of several hotels which have impressed the members at RCT2.com and other sites. More hotels will hopefully be added shortly, I'm just waiting for permission from a few creators.
(tips by marinersfan59, screens by marinersfan59, xophe, x250, RCTNorthWest)

The biggest thing you can do is plan, plan, plan. Picture how you want it to look either in your mind, photos or even sketches. Once you can visualize it, lay out the floor plan using the different land typs to get a feel for what size you want. This is vital when working with adjoining areas and can save you alot of headaches down the road. I also use the different land types for various levels and where the walls need to start from. This helps when designing taller hotels.

One thing that works for me is building on one side completely before moving around to the other. For me, I like to be able to see the "Footprint" so I know where to place my walls.

In my opinion hotels should be more than just a big block sticking out of the ground, you can add many features to hotels to make them much more fun to look at. Whats the fun at looking at a big box on the ground? You can add water parks, an integrated ride such as an elevator or a launched freefall, or even a coaster.

More tips and hotels to come. If you would like to have some of your tips or hotel published in this tutorial, make a post below. You'll get proper credit for each tip given. Questions, comments, and hotels that need help are also welcome in this topic.

Edited by marinersfan59, 17 April 2006 - 08:50 PM.

#2 marinersfan59

marinersfan59

RCTspace Webmaster

• Senior Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1780 posts

Posted 12 February 2005 - 10:20 PM

I've added 2 more hotels to this tutorial, both by RCTNorthWest.

Sorry about not getting this up earlier James, I thought I did it already. :"> I only realized it when I was helping someone else and referred them here.

#3 RCTNW

RCTNW

Attempting to lose my RCT mind!!!!!!!

• Senior Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3945 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 February 2005 - 10:37 PM

No worries. I hope the help and I must say that the tutorial is very indepth and really examines all the different options from each SS.

Very nicely done!

James

#4 rwadams

rwadams

2003 Architect of the Year : December 2004 VP Winner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 February 2005 - 08:05 PM

Your welcome to use any of my Hotels.

Rog :D

Edited by rwadams, 17 February 2005 - 08:05 PM.

#5 marinersfan59

marinersfan59

RCTspace Webmaster

• Senior Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1780 posts

Posted 31 March 2005 - 08:22 PM

Well, it's after the olympics, so as promised, here is the update of FOUR of rwadams' hotels added to the tutorial webpage. Click the link in the first post to see them.

#6 marinersfan59

marinersfan59

RCTspace Webmaster

• Senior Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1780 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 05:52 AM

This Tutorial has been updated to include 2 of Emergo's hotels. Click the link in the first post to see it. Thanks Emergo.

#7 Vox

Vox

Park Guest

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Coaster Uploads:12

Posted 13 June 2007 - 01:14 AM

I have never made an absolutely amazing hotel with balconies and porches and all that. I probably couldn't even do the Motel 8. If you could tell me some good blocks to download/use, I'm sure it would be much easier. Thanks. :D

#8 Dense_Electric

Dense_Electric

Park Guest

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 04:35 AM

I have never made an absolutely amazing hotel with balconies and porches and all that. I probably couldn't even do the Motel 8. If you could tell me some good blocks to download/use, I'm sure it would be much easier. Thanks. :D

The best way is to simply download some of the vacation parks on the main site. Most (if not all) feature large amounts of custom scenery, which automaticaly saves itself into your scenario editor.

#9 lightkeeper

lightkeeper

Park Owner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 986 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 06:04 AM

I just finished looking through the topic here, and I think you guys need to add some smaller hotels. Many are quite monstrous and take large chunks of real estate. Perhaps not everyone wishes to devote 25% of their park to a hotel.

#10 Emergo

Emergo

April05 VP/05+06 Rd Rally Champ/Winner Cell Contest 2006

• Senior Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3361 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 June 2007 - 03:20 PM

I just finished looking through the topic here, and I think you guys need to add some smaller hotels. Many are quite monstrous and take large chunks of real estate. Perhaps not everyone wishes to devote 25% of their park to a hotel.

^ quite some of those hotels are on fairly large maps, where they don't take up more space than 5 to 15% of the park.

Adding some nice smaller hotels however, seems a good idea, in reality I always prefer to stay in a good but smaller hotel anyway instead of in one of those huge factories :D .

Do you have any suggestions for especially nice smaller RCT-hotels?

Emergo

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users